Here are a few blogs that I think you should know. Whether it be for a good laugh or genius advertising, you definitely need to peep these.
For general knowledge & inspiration:
The Blaaahg: One source that literally has everything. Based out of Richmond & NYC, its one of my favorite ‘everything blogs.’ Get at the Kid! : This is my friend Amir’s blog. Its a good source for time killing, learning about good looking individuals, cars, and just general information you should probably know. Merde Téte : Great great great source of inspiration for your design life. Just a generally good site by Brad Eshbach. Fash-IN Fash-OUT : A great lifestyle & fashion blog by my friend Zach Bradshaw in Los Angeles. I’ve mentioned him on the blog before. Check it out. Honest Wolf : Just a collection of dope, amazing pictures.
Fuck Yeah, Advertising : My favorite right now. Nothing but ads, no bullshit, not many words. Its great. Follow. Creative Advertising : This is another great one. Just check it out. AdFreak : Just your standard, obligatory blog, created by AdWeek. Its a good one, check it out. Ask A Copywriter : One of my favorites. I love copywriting, considering it instead of art direction. The Ad Mad! : Great for discovering some new ads, not really my favorite but its worth a look. How Advertising Spoiled Me : Again, not the best but there are some really good campaigns & inspirational shit if you dig deep.
Honestly, just go to the Hype Machine, look at the popular tracks, and click “Read full article.” Go to that blog, more than likely its legit.
“Congratulations to the Martin Agency on winning Advertising Agency of the Year.”—It was announced yesterday that Richmond’s very own Martin Agency would receive AdWeek’s prestigious honor of Agency of the Year. That’s right, number one in the country. Right here in Richmond. Continue reading here.
One of my very good friends here in Richmond is moving away tomorrow. To say I am bummed doesn’t even scratch the surface. Christy Miller is someone who will always put a smile on your face. She will always compliment you on something, even if its ugly, just to make you feel good. Her carefree and excitable personality instantly puts you in a good mood as soon as she comes around. She’s a genuinely good person. You don’t come across those too often in Richmond.
CJ, You will be missed more than you can imagine. I hope you have fun back down home in Florida and I will definitely see you over Spring Break.
I just booked my ticket for Spring Break 2010. I’m going to Orlando! I haven’t seen my mother in two years. I’m stoked, to say the least. I don’t really know what I am going to do down there, but I am sure I will figure out something. Any suggestions?
I started a seven day cleanse today. Its really disgusting what I have to do. I have to drink this powder with half a cup of water. The powder is straight fiber with a (failed) attempt at artificial orange flavoring. Its a greenish-brown color. Along with this, I have to take a few vitamin & pro-biotic pills twice a day.
I don’t know if I am going to be able to go through with this but we will see. I just spent $10 on the pack so something good better come out of it.
1. Men Wearing Ugg Boots. With its spaceboot-like shape the UGG boot is typically cute on women, but its gaudiness will never look anything but inappropriate on the gender that stands up to pee. UGGs will only earn you an “ughh…” in public. Get yourself a pair of wing tips and act like you never even thought about it.
2. Growing a Hipster Beard. The preferred grooming choice for privileged kids from Brooklyn to Portland and back, the hipster beard jumped the shark about four years ago, right around the time when it landed as a trend piece in the New York Times. Back then the beard was a semi-ironic way for rich kids to look poor. Now everyone actually is poor, so the late 90s “fake it till you make it” ethos needs to smack the hipster beard back into the 1970s porno it came from.
3. Carrying a Man Purse. What does a man carry in his man purse, lipstick? Far be it to hark back to an era where backpacks reigned supreme, but f’ it, the backpack does still kinda reign supreme. For laptops we have laptop bags. For briefs, (gasp!) a briefcase. The man purse is a multi-purposed go-between the two, but it still looks about as straight as Perez Hilton.
4. Ed Hardy douchebaggery. Just because you gave 10 Fistpumpin’ Stocking Stuffers to your douchey friends for Christmas, doesn’t mean you have to continue living the Ed Hardy lifestyle your damn self. That LA rocker chic fashion ish is played out like Kwame. Unless you’re an aspiring future cast member of MTV’s Jersey Shore.
5. Using internet slang in real life. Web shortspeak words like “fail” and “LOL” have transcended the net and made it right into our everyday language. But there is still something strangely odd, almost schoolgirl-ish, about a person saying OMG in the midst of a real life conversation. Even stranger when they say LOLcat.
6. Wearing a Male Engagement Ring. The days of a man bending down on one knee, taking a woman’s hand and asking her to marry him are over. Sadly, it’s now becoming a trend for a bit of role reversal, with a woman laying claim to her man prize by asking him to rock an engagement ring of his own. What’s next, getting mani-pedi’s together?
7. Drinking Apple Martinis. It used to be that a man wound down his day with a stiff drink. In the 2000s, however, the fruity drink was en vogue, and none was more prevalent than the apple martini. You want apple juice, buy some apple juice. You want a drink, order a Jack Daniels. End of discussion.
8. Being a Music Snob. Everyone’s a critic. No, really. Everyone is. And these days you can just wear the outfit, know the names of a few acts, create a blog, and boom, you’re in the game. But unless you’re like music critic Chris Weingarten and can condense an entire album review in a tweet, good luck with your burgeoning career in music criticism snobbery.
10. Blogging rap beef. The era of WEW in rap may have officially come to a close this past summer after Joe Buddenlive-streamed the aftermath of a physical altercation he had with Raekwon the Chef backstage at the Los Angeles stop of the Rock The Bells tour. Bloggers, the less attention is given to these things, the less rappers will play them up. Maybe they’ll start being recognized for what they did in the last millennium, ya’know, making music.
My gym playlist, week one. January 4th - January 10th, 2010.
1. Drop It Low (Remix feat. Lil Wayne) - Ester 2. I Can Transform Ya - Chris Brown 3. Pass Out - Chris Brown 4. Ignition (Remix) - R. Kelly 5. Your Love Is My Drug - Ke$ha 6. Girlfriend - Chris Brown 7. Crawl - Chris Brown 8. Keep It Goin’ Louder (Diplo Remix) - Major Lazer 9. Backstabber - Ke$ha 10. Starts With One (CLASSIXX Remix) - Shiny Toy Guns 11. Blah Blah Blah - Ke$ha 12. Let Me Clear My Throat - DJ Kool
I spent three hours at the gym this morning. Not to mention it was between the hours 7:00 and 10:00. I am convinced my life will not continue after this point. I can’t move. It was nice knowing you all.
Upgraded my BlackBerry last night from the old Curve to the new one. Its not top of the line, but I plan on this just being temporary until the Bold is released. I can’t really vouch for BlackBerry enough. Its always been there, never crashed, and is just overall the best phone I have ever owned. And is byfar the best smartphone in the market.